Monday, August 15, 2005

BACK TO SCHOOL: Technology / PC or not PC? / As more classrooms incorporate computers, some observers worry that all the screen time is interfering wi

BACK TO SCHOOL: Technology / PC or not PC? / As more classrooms incorporate computers, some observers worry that all the screen time is interfering with real learning

Here's an article that has a little bit for both Rick and me--Rick in his "computers in the classroom are great and will make all of our children genuises while making teachers' performance at the same time both easier and more effective" mode, and me in my "computers in the classroom interfere with real learning and are a blight on the educational system, encouraging laziness on the part of both students and teachers" mode.

OK, I exaggerated our respective positions a bit, but the main theses of our opposing views are, I believe, fairly stated.

I wonder what others think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Richard Wolfe said...

Here's the last word on computers and learning, courtesy of Discover Magazine:

http://www.discover.com/issues/jul-05/features/brain-on-video-games/

...now that you've read that, let me point out that if the Army is already using scores for placement, how far are we from replacing the SAT and all those high-stakes tests that are proliferating in the wake of No Child Left Behind. GAMES ARE THE PERFECT WAY TO TEST PEOPLE!!!

August 18, 2005 9:27 PM  
Blogger Jim Hughes said...

Unfortunately, I allowed my subscription to Discover Magazine to lapse 10+ years ago, and I cannot read the entire article (you must be a current subscriber to do so).

However, I saw a similarly-themed article in the Sunday paper.

Hogwash.

August 22, 2005 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home